This has been a crazy few weeks in the news, every day a new revelation of boorish or even criminal behavior, a never ending stream of sordidness.
While it’s easy to get wrapped up in these things and focus on all the deceitfulness and skulduggery afoot, instead let’s take the time to truly reflect on the many blessings we’ve been given over the last year.
Here’s my list.
- I’ve been at my new job at a new company for a bit over a year now. I get to geek out and do all the math-y data-nerd things I love best, for nearly double the salary. Much thanks there!
- We have an amazing man in President Donald J Trump, someone who finally gets it. The support for our military, police, and the average citizen is so apparent and so welcome. He may not have the smooth-talking polish of politicians, but what he says and more importantly what he does is a thousand times more genuine.
- Our investments are growing at an amazing rate. People think economic issues don’t impact them directly, but my 401(k) and regular brokerage account balances beg to disagree.
- I had a great garden season and I was able to get vegetables put up for the first time (versus just eating it all fresh). Green beans, tomato sauce, and more. Being self-sufficient is important to me, even more so in times of uncertainty.
- I have a husband who loves me and has supported me in so many ways, that I now get to support soon in his career change, he’s on the list for a place in an NRA-approved gunsmithing program, and we’re praying he gets a slot for fall 2018.
- Our fur family is healthy and happy, and growing. We recently took in a rescued border collie mix dog (pictured), and just two nights ago a beautiful Siamese cat walked up to our front porch and announced that He. Wanted. Inside. Looking for his owner, but he may become part of the growing zoo here.
- My daughter of choosing (my husband’s step-daughter from his ex) has grown into an accomplished young woman and is finding her way after graduating from college, as is her brother. She’ll be here for a visit at New Year’s and we can’t wait to see her.
- We took down some trees this summer, I have firewood to last all season lessening our dependence on expensive oil. There’s something about the warmth of a fire that just can’t come from a furnace vent!
- Having culled my social media contacts of people who were toxic, there’s far less stress in my online life. I don’t avoid opposing views, just those who spew venom and hate.
- Our values and are way of life will not be systematically torn down, not with our current administration in charge. Live is good, America is returning to greatness.
I hope you find many things to be thankful for this year!